Names

The various names of places along the road to Negril.

Montego Bay was originally 'discovered' by Columbus in 1494. He called it "El Golfo the Buen Tiempo". Starting in 1510 the Spanish began to colonize the area calling it "Bahia de Manteca", a reference to the large amount of pig lard shipped from the bay to other ports in South America. When the English took over, it became Montego Bay. More information...

YouTube Video showing drive towards airport through Montego Bay on upper Queen's Road

Bogue was part of the large Bogue Estate, an early plantation on the island.

Hopewell was part of the larger Hopewell Estate, an early English plantation.

Sandy Bay is the result of a Baptist missionary building a place for former slaves to live after the emancipation. More information...

Elgin Town was named for a very friendly chap who spent some time in the fishing village having a wheel to his buggy repaired. Originally the place was known as Frustic because of the groves of Frustic trees in the area. More information...

Lucea is the capital city of the Hanover parish and dates back in the 1600s as an agricultural shipping point. The famed Lucea yam and bananas were exported directly from the natural harbor until the 1960s. More information...

YouTube Video showing Lucea drive through

Green Island was once a market town for farmers, fishermen, and others to sell their wares. More information...

Bloody Bay earned the name during extensive whaling operations in the 1800s.

Rutland Point - near the Negril airport, where Hedonism II, Breezes, and Point Village are located. The point separates Bloody Bay from Long Bay (seven mile beach).

YouTube Video showing drive along road going from Negril towards Montego Bay

The name Negril is derived from the Spanish Negrillo, a reference to the black cliffs along the southwest end of Jamaica. At the town of Negril the cliffs fall into a beautiful white sand beaches that stretch for miles along the western edge of the island.

Negril is in the parish of Westmoreland. The parish is so named because it is the western most parish in Jamaica. More information...

The name Jamaica comes from the pre-Spanish inhabitants of the island. The Tainos' Arawak Indian name for the island was Xaymaca which meant land of wood and water. More information...